Reports To: Engineering Director
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: San Diego, CA 92127
The Mechanical Designer position uses organization, communication, and utilization of resources to efficiently complete the tasks assigned. In this role the mechanical designer is responsible for the completion of detailed product drawings and bill of materials, as well as ensuring accuracy and functionality of the finished product designs. This position requires a technical expertise in SolidWorks as well as good shop skills with a wide range of prototype and industrial processes. This position requires the ability to do mechanical product design and the creativity to figure things out without clear direction, finding the gray area.
- Drafts assembly drawings and procedures, detailed drawings and bill of materials, subassemblies of product, using Solidworks.
- Reviews drawings for accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, finishes, hardness etc.
- Determines tools, fixtures and equipment to be used in fabrication and assembly of mechanical components and complete assemblies.
- Provides technical support in the testing and production of prototypes.
- Responsible for interaction with suppliers as required to produce models/designs/prints for components and assemblies.
- Responsible for interaction with customers as required to produce the best antenna solution for them.
- Interfaces with sales, purchasing, quality, manufacturing, and suppliers in the course of project work.
- Examines product instructions and drawings to help determine test specifications, procedures, objectives, test equipment and problems involved in designing and changing materials.
- Revising the designs for existing products based on the feedback of customers or internally to improve or repair current product offering.
- Assist engineering and project management with day to day project functions, as needed, including researching product specifications, contacting vendors, and other support functions.
10 to 15 years’ experience in a fast paced high tech product design and manufacturing environment (antenna or RF/Microwave products a plus).
- High School Graduate or equivalent required
- Associates degree in Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) with an emphasis in Solidworks or Mechanical Designer
- Certification in Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) with an emphasis in Solidworks from a Technical School or Program such as DeVry, University of Phoenix, ITT Technical Institute, or similar accredited program or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Aided Product Design or Design Drafting
NOTE: Bachelor’s degree in M.E. candidates will be considered that have never worked as or wanted to work as an Engineer but have suitable experience in Drafting and Mechanical Design and want to fill the role of drafter and mechanical designer with Southwest Antennas. M.E. candidates who want to be Mechanical Engineers will not be a good fit for this role.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Confidentiality & judgment
- Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions
- Strong teamwork and relationship skills
- Ability to collaborate at all levels of the organization
- Proficiency with computers and software (Microsoft Outlook; Excel; Word); Proficiency with written e-mail programs like MS Outlook or similar are required.
- Proficiency with Database based ERP/MRP programs (such as xTuple)
- A creative problem-solver with a continuous improvement mindset required
- A positive “can-do” attitude and professional demeanor
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment where deadlines need to be met and the ability to work many priorities in parallel is required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The following physical demands and work environment characteristics are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit for long periods of time; use hands; reach with hands and arms. Excellent attendance is required and monitored.