Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports To: Director of Engineering
The Mechanical Design Engineer position uses strong organizational and communication skills to efficiently complete assigned tasks. Primary responsibilities involve new product development, test and qualification, tooling design, as well as developing and maintaining accurate and functional engineering drawings and bills of materials for a wide variety of company products. This position requires technical expertise with SolidWorks as well as hands-on shop skills and an understanding of a wide range of prototyping and industrial processes. This position requires the ability to apply creative solutions to new mechanical and packaging designs in order to meet customer needs.
- Plays a key role in new product development and R&D, from initial concept to manufacturing release. Participate in design and manufacturing reviews.
- Drafts assembly and subassembly drawings and procedures, as well as detailed component drawings and bills of materials using Solidworks.
- Reviews drawings for accuracy to ensure proper form, fit, and function required to meet product requirements.
- Anticipates and designs or specifies tools, fixtures and equipment to be used for fabrication and assembly of mechanical components and complete assemblies.
- Provides technical support and analysis in the testing, qualification, and production of new product.
- Design packaging and mechanical elements with an eye toward manufacturability, quality, and ruggedness.
- Frequently interacts with internal and external customers and vendors.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving drawings, ECOs, work instructions, and other engineering documentation in a timely manner.
- Specify and/or assist in writing product datasheets, SOPs, work instructions, design guides, and other engineering documentation as required.
- Revise designs based on internal and external customer feedback to improve or repair current products.
- Assist engineering and project management with day to day project functions as needed, including researching product specifications, contacting vendors, and other support functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent required. 5 years prior experience in a similar design/manufacturing environment.
- 3 years Solidworks experience minimum. Experience with simulation and PDM a plus.
- Experience with sheet metal, vacuum forming, injection molding, adhesives and epoxies, packaging, tooling design, and/or CNC machining processes and practices a plus.
- Comfortable with a hands-on approach.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, able to write clear written reports/design analysis.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, effective team player.
- Experience designing for Military/LEO applications a plus.
- Due to the nature of work performed, U.S. Citizenship required and the employee can have no criminal record or warrants.
- Physical Demands and Work Environment – The following physical demands and work environment characteristics are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee may be required to lift/and or more up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus and the ability to see color. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, work near ventilated and exhaust equipped soldering stations and some solvents and chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions